Special Feature from Avante Health
The summer has flown by quickly, and it will soon be time for the start of a new school year. The start of a new school year is a time to reflect and establish new goals. Avante Health (the District’s Behavioral Health vendor) has provided 5 key tips to help make your 2014-2015 academic year successful and rewarding:
- Plan ahead to stay mentally fit – The pressures of working in the school system at any level – teacher, administrator, or support staff – are significant. As with all professions, it is easy to become overwhelmed trying to balance our work and personal lives. It is important to strike a balance between these two. Think ahead about how to simplify your responsibilities. For example, plan out meals which can be prepared ahead of time and reheated during the week, which can allow a few extra minutes to relax after work before having to prepare the evening meal. Cleaning one room a night at home will be less time consuming than trying to clean the entire house on the weekend, and will give you more time for relaxation and spending time with family and friends during the weekends;
- Schedule time for relaxation – Each month, plan one fun activity to enjoy on a weekend. Taking a drive to the coast for the day, going to dinner with friends or family, or having a massage, facial, or manicure/pedicure will help to rejuvenate your spirit.
- Organize social events at work – Talk to your coworkers to plan social activities once a month at work. Plan a monthly pot-luck lunch throughout the year. Set a designated TGIF day where colleagues can unwind and socialize. Organize a group to do Zumba, play on a sports team, or take an Adult Education class together. Through the school district’s WellPATH program there are group fitness classes and social activities available – check out https://www.jhmbhealthconnect.com/classes-events for more details!
- Become more creative in your classroom or office space – You spend the majority of your time at work, so make your environment relaxing and inviting. Bring some personal items into work which reflect your unique personality and your interests. If you are a teacher, involve your students in decorating the room. Make sure that your work environment is stimulating, relaxing, and inviting. Just be sure to follow any guidelines from administration regarding appropriate décor.
- Pay attention to your health – The start of the school year is a time for parents to see that their children are current on their vaccinations, have had their sports physicals, and have current physician orders for medications to be administered at school. Just as important, employees of the school district should use this opportunity to evaluate their own health needs. If you have not had your annual physical exam, schedule it now. If you need routine blood tests, mammograms, x-rays, seasonal flu vaccinations, etc., this is the time to schedule them. The school district wants you to Know Your Numbers, and you can find out more at https://www.jhmbhealthconnect.com/know-your-numbers about this wellness campaign. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
We at Avante Health are excited about the upcoming academic year and extend our best wishes to all of the Fresno Unified School District employees for a happy, productive, and healthy school year!
Healthful Resources & Tips
WellPATH believes in providing resources that will enhance your quality of life and bring you the latest health and wellness information. As the August 2014 Featured Vendor, Avante Health has also provided healthful Resources & Tips regarding brain health, bullying, and stress management.